First Ever FirstGrass
36 years in the making, the Telluride Bluegrass Festival never ceases to amaze. It truly seems that this festival keeps getting better with age.
Case in point, the organizers from Planet Bluegrass decided that Mountain Village could use a little more bluegrass this year. Or maybe it was MV that was craving a little bit more twang. Eitherway, it's the bluegrass fans (and festivarians) that win!
So, to kick-off its always sold-out opening NightGrass YMSB show at the Telluride Conference Center on Wednesday night (6/17), the Town of Mountain Village is hosting a free show in Sunset Plaza aptly named - FirstGrass.
- Grab your blankie and pick out a spot during the day.
- Bring rain gear, just in case.
- Definitely bring your dancing shoes.
- Picnic baskets welcome. Better yet, grab something delicious off the grill from 9454, a pint & waffle fries from Poachers or partake in an Itialian affair at La Piazza. There are plenty of specials to be had at many of the MV retailers and restaurants, so come early and wander around.
As for the rest of the weekend, David Byrne is on stage Thursday night and Elvis Costello & The Sugarcanes play Friday night. Find your TBF favorites - Sam Bush, Emmylou Harris, Jerry Douglas and Tim O'Brien - throughout the festival schedule. For great inside stories on personalities from the festival, check out Bluegrass features on Telluride Inside and Out.
Tickets are available online through Tuesday (6/16). After that please visit the Festival Box Office, located next to the Post Office in Telluride. Festival Box Office Hours:
- Monday, June 15: 10am-6pm
- Tuesday, June 16: 10am-6pm
- Wednesday, June 17: 9am-9pm
- Thursday, June 18: 8am thru festival close
- Friday, June 19: 9am thru festival close
- Saturday, June 20: 9am thru festival close
- Sunday, June 21: 9am thru festival close
Get the inside scoop on tickets, logistics, and more at the festival's forum dedicated to TBF. Please note: the gondola will be operating until 2 am starting Wednesday through Sunday.