In the News:
TFF: Telluride Film Festival's 40th Anniversary Edition Comes to a Close
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Shannon Goodwin Mitchell
TELLURIDE FILM FESTIVAL’S 40TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION COMES TO A CLOSE
Telluride, CO, September 2, 2013 – Telluride Film Festival (August 29-September 2, 2013), presented by the National Film Preserve, draws to a close today following a spectacular five-day anniversary presentation of diverse programming, surprise screenings and special guests attended by more than 4,000 movie lovers.
Telluride Film Festival curated over 100 programs representing twenty-five countries including twenty-seven new feature films in its main program; six film revivals selected by returning Guest Directors: Don Delillo, Buck Henry, Phillip Lopate, Michael Ondaatje, B. Ruby Rich and Salman Rushdie; twelve Backlot programs; six revival programs; 33 shorts and/or student films, and hosted twelve seminars and conversations between festival guests.
“We are overwhelmed at the level of talent we have seen at this year’s 40th Telluride Film Festival,” commented Festival co-founder and artistic director Tom Luddy. “We are privileged to be able to present the world’s best in cinema, surrounded by friends old and new. What a wonderful way to celebrate our anniversary.”
Four Sneak Previews that screened outside the official program include Steve McQueen’s latest film 12 YEARS A SLAVE (U.S., 2013), which appeared with cast members Brad Pitt, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Michael Fassbender and Lupita Nyong’o; Denis Villeneuve’s PRISONERS (U.S., 2013) with Villeneuve in person; Shane Salerno’s SALINGER with Salerno and AE Hotchner via Skype and panelists David Shields, Buddy Squires, Jean Miller and Dylan Sellers in person; and Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall presented Hayao Miyazaki’s THE WIND RISES (Japan, 2013), and announced that it will be Miyazaki’s last film.
In a statement released yesterday from Frank Marshall by Telluride Film Festival, he said, "We were extremely honored to present Hayao Miyazaki's latest masterpiece, "The Wind Rises." But it was a bittersweet moment for us, as we also announced his retirement from directing, making this his last feature film."
Previously announced Telluride Film Festival Silver Medallion awards, given to recognize an artist’s significant contribution to the world of cinema, went to Robert Redford; T Bone Burnett and the Coen Brothers; and Mohammad Rasoulof.
Additional 40th Telluride Film Festival guests and program participants include: Yuval Adler, The Alloy Orchestra, the Americans, Michael Barker, Ritesh Batra, Sarah-Violet Bliss, Frances Bodomo, David Cairns, Patrick Cazals, J.C. Chandor, Ethan Clarke, Philippe Claudel, Linda Jones Clough, Francis For Coppola, Gia Coppola, Mark Cousins, Alfonso Cuarón, Jonás Cuarón, John Curran, Mark Danner, Robyn Davidson, Don DeLillo, Bruce Dern, Tony Donoghue, Paul Duane, Geoff Dyer, Adèle Exarchopoulos, Mitra Farahani, Asghar Farhadi, Battiste Fenwick, Ralph Fiennes, Joey Figueroa, Michael Fitzgerald, Scott Foundas, Robin Frohardt, Alberto Fuguet, Paulina García, Dan Geller, Jonathan Glazer, Dayna Goldfine, Emily Harrold, Buck Henry, Werner Herzog, Agnieszka Holland, John Horn, Bob Hurwitz, Alejandro González Iñárritu, Annette Insdorf, Oscar Isaac, Tim Jenison, Barry Jenkins, Tamara Jenkins, Penn Jillette, Esther Julie-Anne, Abdellatif Kechiche, Dieter Kosslick, Zak Knutson, Andrej Landin, Sebastián Lelio, Mark Levinson, Phillip Lopate, Colin MacCabe, David Mackenzie, Lauren MacMullan, Emilio Maille, Leonard Maltin, Joshua Marston, Joyce Maynard, Todd McCarthy, Jean Miller, Monique Montgomery, Errol Morris, Dario Nardi, Gregory Nava, Michael Ondaatje, Rithy Panh, Tatiana Pauhofová, Pawel Pawlikowski, Alexander Payne, Nicolas Philibert, Bill Plympton, Michael Pollan, Punch Brothers, Josh Radnor, Tahar Rahim, Alejandro Ramirez, Kirill Razlogov, Godfrey Reggio, Jason Reitman, B. Ruby Rich, Rob Richert, Pierre Rissient, A.V. Rockwell, Bobby Roth, Salman Rushdie, Lisanne Sartor, Dylan Sellers, Léa Seydoux, David Shields, Buddy Squires, Barry Sonnenfeld, Jordana Spiro, Milos Stehlik, Matt Steinauer, Dean Tavoularis, Teller, Gabriel Thibaudeau, David Thomson, Agata Trzebuchowska, Paolo Cherchi Usai, Mia Wasikowska, Alice Waters, Todd Wiseman, Joey Xanders, Sara Zandieh and Farley Ziegler.
Previously announced new feature films that played in the official 40th Telluride Film Festival main program:
· ALL IS LOST (d. J.C. Chandor, U.S., 2013)
· BEFORE THE WINTER CHILL (d. Philippe Claudel, France, 2013)
· BETHLEHEM (d. Yuval Adler, Israel, 2013)
· BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR (d. Abdellatif Kechiche, France, 2013)
· BURNING BUSH (d. Agnieszka Holland, Czech Republic, 2013)
· DEATH ROW: BLAINE MILAM + ROBERT FRATTA (d. Werner Herzog, U.S., 2013)
· FIFI HOWLS FROM HAPPINESS (d. Mitra Farahani, U.S., 2013)
· THE GALAPAGOS AFFAIR: SATAN CAME TO EDEN (d. Dan Geller, Dayna Goldfine, U.S., 2013)
· GLORIA (d. Sebastián Lelio, Chile, 2013)
· GRAVITY (d. Alfonso Cuarón, U.S./U.K., 2013)
· IDA (d. Pawel Pawlikowski, Poland, 2013)
· INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS (d. Joel and Ethan Coen, U.S., 2013)
· THE INVISIBLE WOMAN (d. Ralph Fiennes, U.K., 2013)
· LABOR DAY (d. Jason Reitman, U.S., 2013)
· THE LUNCHBOX (d. Ritesh Batra, India, 2013)
· LA MAISON DE LA RADIO (d. Nicolas Philibert, France, 2013)
· MANUSCRIPTS DON’T BURN (d. Mohammad Rasoulof, Iran, 2013)
· THE MISSING PICTURE (d. Rithy Panh, Cambodia/France, 2013)
· NEBRASKA (d. Alexander Payne, U.S., 2013)
· PALO ALTO (d. Gia Coppola, U.S., 2013)
· THE PAST (d. Asghar Farhadi, France/Italy, 2013)
· SLOW FOOD STORY (d. Stefano Sardo, Italy, 2013)
· STARRED UP (d. David Mackenzie, U.K., 2013)
· TIM’S VERMEER (d. Teller, U.S., 2013)
· TRACKS (d. John Curran, Australia, 2013)
· UNDER THE SKIN (d. Jonathan Glazer, U.K., 2013)
· THE UNKNOWN KNOWN (d. Errol Morris, U.S., 2013)
Previously announced films screened in The Backlot program:
· HERE BE DRAGONS (d. Mark Cousins, U.K., 2013)
· JODOROWSKY’S DUNE (d. Frank Pavich, U.S./France, 2013)
· LOCATIONS: LOOKING FOR RUSTY JAMES (d. Alberto Fuguet, Chile, 2013) select screening will be followed by Francis Ford Coppola’s RUMBLE FISH (U.S., 1983)
· NATAN (d. David Cairns, Paul Duane, Ireland, 2013)
· MILIUS (d. Zak Knutson, Joey Figueroa, U.S., 2013)
· MULTIPLE VISIONS, THE CRAZY MACHINE (d. Emilio Maille, Mexico, 2012)
· MUSIDORA, THE TENTH MUSE (d. Patrick Cazals, France, 2013)
· PARTICLE FEVER (d. Mark Levinson, U.S., 2013)
· REMEMBRANCE – A SMALL MOVIE ABOUT OUUL IN THE 1950s (d. Peter Von Bagh, Finland, 2013)
· ROAD MOVIE: A PORTRAIT OF JOHN ADAMS (d. Mark Kidel, U.K., 2013)
· A STORY OF CHILDREN AND FILM (d. Mark Cousins, U.K., 2013)
40th Telluride Film Festival was dedicated to Les Blank (1935-2013); Roger Ebert (1942-2013); George Gund (1937-2013); and Donald Richie (1924-2013).
A complete list of 40th Telluride Film Festival films and events is available at: www.telluridefilmfestival.org
Film stills available upon request. Email Shannon@telluridefilmfestival.org for more information.
About Telluride Film Festival
The prestigious Telluride Film Festival ranks among the world’s best film festivals and is an annual gathering for film industry insiders, cinema enthusiasts, filmmakers and critics. TFF is considered a major launching ground for the fall season’s most talked-about films. Founded in 1974, Telluride Film Festival, presented in the beautiful mountain town of Telluride, Colorado, is a four-day international educational event celebrating the art of film. Telluride Film Festival’s long-standing commitment is to join filmmakers and film connoisseurs together to experience great cinema. The exciting schedule, kept secret until Opening Day, consists of over two dozen filmmakers presenting their newest works, special Guest Director programs, three major Tributes to guest artists, special events and remarkable treasures from the past. Telluride Film Festival is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit educational program. Festival headquarters are in Berkeley, CA.
About Our Sponsors
Telluride Film Festival is supported by Land Rover North America, Turner Classic Movies, EY, Film Finances, Inc., Audible.com, Telluride Mountain Village Owners Association, Meyer Sound, The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, Bombardier Business Aircraft, Participant Media, Universal Studios, Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group, Américas Film Conservancy, The London Hotels, Pine Ridge Vineyards, Telluride Foundation, UCLA School of Theater, Film and Television, Teatulia Organic Teas, Dolby, Telluride Alpine Lodging, Crumpler, ShopKeep POS, New Sheridan Hotel, The Hollywood Reporter, Cinedigm, Boston Light and Sound, among others.
# # #