Venture Out & Win: A Contest for Skeptics
When it comes to online contests, I’m a skeptic. I’ve never entered one for fear that my information would land in the hands of evil spammers, and I’ve always figure the odds of winning aren’t worth the hassles. So when my boss at the Telluride Tourism Board asked me to launch an online contest, I found myself with a unique opportunity to create a contest that I would actually want to enter.
My dream contest had specific criteria: great prizes, a simple entry form, no strings attached and good odds. And based on that foundation, Venture Out & Win launched earlier this month.
The prizes—all Telluride goodies that offer enticement to come and enjoy the region—are truly great. Many local businesses generously stepped up, and here’s a sampling of the rewards:
- Two nights for two @ Hotel Columbia + $75 gift certificate at the Cosmopolitan restaurant
- Two-day music passes for Telluride Wine Festival
- Two Grand Tasting tickets to Telluride Festival of the Arts
- A day of rafting with Telluride Outside + $50 gift certificate for dinner at 221. S. Oak
- Two three-day passes to Telluride Jazz Celebration
- Three nights for two @ Mountain Lodge at Telluride + 2 two-day lift tix at Telluride Ski Resort
- Two three-day passes to Telluride Blues & Brews
- Helicopter skiing with Telluride Helitrax
- Three nights for two @ New Sheridan Hotel + 2 two-day lift tix at Telluride Ski Resort
- A private three-hour class at the Ah Haa School for the Arts
- Three nights for two @ Capella Telluride + 2 two-day lift tix at Telluride Ski Resort
- Two nights for two @ Fairmont Heritage Place/Franz Klammer Lodge + spa treatment
- Two nights for two @ The Peaks Hotel & Spa
- Gear from Boot Doctors
A simple contest with no strings attached was especially important to me. There’re no difficult questions to answer and nothing to purchase. We will not give your contact information to anyone, and you can opt to receive our newsletter or not. We’ll draw one name from all the entrants every two weeks (or sometimes more often). To enter, all you have to do is fill out a form and then follow the action by “liking” the Telluride Tourism Board on Facebook, where we’ll announce the upcoming prizes and winners of each round.
The odds of winning are good—just ask Dee Murphy of New York who won the first round on Wednesday (May 19): two nights for two at the Hotel Columbia plus a $75 gift certificate for dinner at the Cosmopolitan restaurant. You can see her reaction on our Facebook page under the announcement that she won. With only a few hundred entrants so far, the sooner you enter, the better your odds.
Does it sound too good to be true? Maybe. But so do many other things about Telluride that are also true—the predictable rainbows after summer showers (see the photo for proof), a free gondola transportation system, the state’s longest free-falling waterfall, the summer festival lineup, a stunningly beautiful box canyon the likes of which I’ve never seen in this nation, the skiing and snowboarding, other outdoor opportunities and so much more.
I did it: Here’s one contest that I wish I could actually enter myself. Unfortunately, the official contest rules exclude me from eligibility, but that just makes the odds all the better for you.
So what are you waiting for? Venture Out & Win.