Top Ten Things Things For Kids To Do in Telluride
Kids can take part in the Telluride adventure too! Along with family excursions such as biking, horseback riding, camping and off-roading tours, Telluride also offers enriching programs that kids can partake in during your stay in Telluride. Thinking of bringing your family to this beautiful area? Here’s our list of the top ten things for kids to do in Telluride.
10. Telluride Rock and Roll Academy offers week long programs, taking place either in the mornings or afternoons, for kids that want to explore their musical abilities and see what it’s like to be part of a rock band. A complete schedule can be found here.
Click to see CBS 4 Denver's story on the Rock and Roll Academy.
9. Ah Haa School of the Arts offers a variety of programs for kids, including four-day camps and single day classes. The Ah Haa School can also offer tailored programs specifically for what your child is interested in doing. Offered classes include “Create a Comic,” “Watercolor Walkabout,” and “Stained Glass.” Kids summer programs can be found here.
7. Does your kid want to learn how to skate? Telluride’s Skate Camp, SK81435 offers great summer programming where kids can participate in a one or five day progression session.
6. Kids can explore history at the Telluride Historical Museum. The new outdoor interactive mining exhibit, “Hard Rocks, Rough Lives” features gold panning, education areas, and other hands-on activities for kids.
5. Hiking! There are some great shorter hikes that can be done right from town. Here are a few:
Also accessible from town, Bear Creek Trail is a moderate 2.5-mile (one way) hike to the falls.
The San Miguel River Trail follows the river through the town of Telluride and is great for a short and easy stroll.
4. Take the kids up to Mountain Village! Bring the kids up the free gondola and check out the incredible views over town. On Wednesdays in the summer Mountain Village is host to a Farmers and Artists Market and a Sunset Concert Series featuring free live music. Also at Mountain Village is the Adventure Rock where kids can boulder, a great playground, and a fishing pond!
3. Pinhead Punk Science is a fun weekly demonstration brought to kids by The Pinhead Institute. Here kids can learn about science in a fun setting outside of school. Past events include “Sizzle, Bang, Boom,” “How Cold Can You Go: Spectacular Space Science,” and “Blast Off! Radical Rockets Rock!” For Plum TV’s entertaining visit to Pinhead Punk Science click here.
2. For some outdoor programs, check out the Telluride Academy, an award winning outdoor youth organization, for summer adventures for kids. They offer various adventures for kids ages 5-17, including “Mountain Biking”, “Survival Skills”, “Mud Monsters”, and “Flower Fairies”. For a complete listing of what the Telluride Academy has to offer look here!
The San Juan Outdoor School also offers some great three day kids camp programs. The camps include rock climbing, outdoor games, arts exploration, and nature hiking. The Outdoor School also offers half day climbing trips once a week where the kids can get a chance to rock climb and meet other kids! For teens, The Outdoor School offers climbing clinics as well as three day mountaineering camps. For full scheduling and pricing information click here.
1. Telluride Town Park is a great spot to bring the kids. The Park has a public swimming pool, a kid’s fishing pond (for 12 and under), a skate park, horseshoe pits, basketball courts, tennis courts, volleyball and more! There is also a great playground at Town Park as well! Fishing rods for the kid’s fishing pond can be checked out for free at the Information Center in Town Park.
Find more information about pool hours and fees here.
Check out Plum TV’s top picks of things for kids to do in Telluride such as Pinhead Punk Science, Adventure Rock bouldering in Mountain Village, EcoAdventures from Telluride Ski Resort, and the San Sophia Nature Center.
We'd love to get your thoughts and feedback on Top Ten Things Things For Kids To Do in Telluride. Please Leave a comment and share your thoughts.